terracing a backyard

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saltbranch

Reaction score
Need Ideas or sugggestions.
The back of my backyard is higher than my back porch. Currently when it rains alot, water will collect on the back porch which is concrete. The last flood situation I dug a trench to help divert water off to the side of the house and flow out into the front yard.
Later this year I will be replacing fences and redoing the yard. I plan on bringing in my tractor with a box blade to recontour the yard. I am on a corner lot so I am thinking the back portion of the back yard i can contour it to flow out the driveway and onto side street.The section of yard closer to the house build a contour of some sort to divert water to side of home and out to front yard. In the back yard picture the letter"L" laying flat on ground sideways, in the corner is my rear entry door and a 8x8 porch. Would like to go with a larger wood deck, but worry about water build up under it when we do have hard rains.Granted we dont get much rain, but when it does rain, seems to come all at once.

Any ideas?

Thankx

Hello saltbranch! I have two ideas for you:

Is it possible to create a retaining wall to gently slope down the backyard?
(Pavestone*Company*|* – pages 12-15 and 31 for sample worksheet)

Can you create a drainage channel under the wall and alongside the driveway to move the water off to the side street?
(yard flooding - Welcome to The Home Depot Community)

You definitely want to be careful about diverting the section of yard closer to the house out to the front yard or you will have a new set of problems. You may also want to check with your local authorities about draining water onto the street.

Can you send a photo of the layout so we can better help? Best wishes on this project.

Photos may be uploaded under the reply box where it says Manage Attachments.

Would it be worth trying to design a french-drain system in front of the retaining wall? I have a similar issue with a wall I intend to replace. My intentions are to put a shallow level of soil over mesh and gravel, with a drain that would run feed into a PVC pipe. The pipe would carry the water out to the curb.

We buried 6" PVC with several holes drilled in the top through the backyard, out to the street. The water was able to get in, be re-routed, and didn't pool any more for our yard.

I like the retaning wall idea, that would work to split the back half of yard, which is the highes point. Plus I want to have the yard split into a nice landscaped area close the house and have the back section to build a small work shop. I'll get some pics up soon. We are currently under a full remodel of the homes intereior trying get it ready to move back into, so the back yard is suffering sever lack of attention right now

Latest posts

Back