Old paints and some painting problems

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firsttimer

Reaction score
Can paint be used again after about 3 years if the can is stored inside the house and had never been open. I have already done some painting with new paint. When I take off the painter's tape, some new paint on the wall peels off with the tape. How can I avoid peeling the new paint? How much paint should I used on the roller and how can I control the amount of paint on the roller? I found the roller did not move on the paint tray but I can move it on the wall. I got some spot too much paint and some quite thin. Is it worthwhile to clean the roller for the next painting? After cleaning and drying, my roller feel quite stiff to use. Is it necessary to sand the glossy old paint rough before putting on the new coating?

You can use the old paint if it had never been open. You should also ask to painting professionals before you use.

It will be better to contact any professional in this work. By demonstrating here, it would be little bit unclear than working practically.

yes, you can use the old paint but, mix is good with a mixer attached to a drill (stick stirring will not work well).
Use a 5 gal. paint bucket and screen instead of a paint tray.
clean the roller until no paint comes out of the nap. If it's a cheap roller, just throw it away (not worth cleaning) the quality of the brush & rollers has bearing on the outcome.
yes, sand glossy surfaces prior to painting. You don't have to sand it down, just break the gloss and rough the surface for good adhesion. Wipe down the wall after sanding.
avoid peeling new paint by removing the tape before the paint dries too much or don't use tape at all and practice cutting in. You may need to change to a lower adhesion tape. use Blue Tape or frog tape not masking tape. Or let the paint dry completely and trim the paint line with a razor knife to separate the paint from the tape.

Back