Roper Dryer Not Working

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

venkman

Reaction score
I am a college student and recently got an apartment off campus. In doing so I bought a cheap washer and electric dryer on craigslist. The washer works fine but the dryer just stopped working. I have looked online for simple repairs and hoped that it was just the belt that was broken, I just opened up the top of the dryer and the belt looks fine. It is tight around the drum and looks in good shape. While I had the top off the dryer I decided to give it a run and see what would happen. When I pressed the start button the dryer motor kicked on and tried to turn the drum. It attempted to turn for about 10 to 15 seconds before there was another click and the motor stopped. I then tried to press the start button again but nothing happened. After waiting for about another minute or so there was another click from the dryer and then when I pressed the start button the motor tried to turn the drum again and then another click and it stopped.

My first question is what part of my dryer is broken? Is it the motor or the temperature sensor or something completely different? Depending on what is broken is it really worth fixing or should I just try to find another cheap dryer? Lastly, I would like to do the repairs myself as I can't really afford a repairman to come in and take a look at it.

Hi,

Model#?
LINK> Where is my model#, I need a part, where should I look for my model number

It attempted to turn for about 10 to 15 seconds before there was another click and the motor stopped. I then tried to press the start button again but nothing happened. After waiting for about another minute or so there was another click from the dryer and then when I pressed the start button the motor tried to turn the drum again and then another click and it stopped.

Motor is shutting off on it's built in safety thermal switch. Could be a drum support holding the motor back from running, could be something caught in the fan blower wheel, could be a bad motor.....would have to be investigated.

Any strange noises/growling when the motor is trying to start?

jeff.

Back