Does galvanized mean electogalvanized?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

willin2try

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Tom and this is my first time posting to this site.

I am putting cedar shakes on a guest cabin I built. I plan to use my PC stapler, and porter cable crown staples. I have read that it is not good to use electrogalvanized with cedar, as it will stain the shakes. The staples say they are galvanized, but not specifically electro. Is it safe to use them?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this.

Thanks!

The best possible thing you could do is to buy Stainless steel staples to fit your PC staple gun.
I did a Google search (stainless staples) when I read your post and found many suppliers and reasonable prices too!

Welcome Tom:
The staples will only stain the cedar if they are used in an exposed location. As long as they are covered by another shingle they will stay dry and not stain.
There are two kinds of galvanizing that I know of; electroplated and hot dipped. I would be willing to bet the staples are electroplated. Just keep them covered and dry and there will not be any problem.
Glenn

Thanks!

I'll use the ones I have cause most of them will be covered, but I'll go out and get some of the stainless ones for the exposed shakes. I appreciate your help.

Latest posts

Back