Is there any reason not to install sheetrock vertically?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m2244

Reaction score
Hello,

Here's the thing; when we remodeled one of our rooms last year I installed the sheetrock horizontally and the taper (I don't tape) said that I should have used sheets that were the length of the room due to the fact that one of the walls in our old house was bowed bit and it took him longer to tape it. He had to use a lot of mud to mke it right, he is a perfectionist.

This room is too long. So I was wondering if I could just install the stuff vertically.

Far more likely to damage the vertical edges of each sheet if they're installed vertically. Each nail/screw has just 3/4" of bearing on the stud (one half of the full 1-1/2" stud thickness), meaning there's bound to be some broken/crushed/torn edges, even when "angling" the fasteners towards the center of the studs. Resulting in weaker connections, prone to not resisting impact forces against the finished wall without failing.

The smart way is to take any bows out of the wall (inward or outward) before installing the sheetrock, either by shimming or trimming. If it's a room "that counts" (meaning not a closet or dimly-lit man-cave), I make a practice of carefully eye-balling the complete stud line before the first piece of rock goes on. Have even used a stringline when there are too many bad studs.

Back