Walls Not Level

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cibula11

Reaction score
I am drywalling my knee walls in the attic and I noticed that the knee wall is not level. It slants in about an 1.5" I know I could rip 2x4's to build the walls out level, but I didn't know if there was something easier I could do, or buy? I have nearly all of the studs to level. So to save a lot of time anything would help.

Are you referring to the vertical measurement of the wall ? Top is slanted in 1 1/2" farther than the bottom? Vertical would make the wall out of plumb. Level is the horizontal plane such as a floor . When you say you have all of the studs level the studs would be vertical and plumb to the floor.
Assuming your knee wall studs are attached to the roof rafters at the top and to the base plate (Bottom 2X4 on the floor), you could knock the stud loose at the roof rafter move it forward filling the void with shims to bring it plumb and add shims between it and the roof rafter and renail to the rafter. if needed you can re-attach it with a short piece of 2X4 along side the rafter if the space is too large to fill with shims. Use screws when re-attaching this way two in each end of the extra board (liquid nails along with ths screws wil give a very strong tie.

Why not just screw 2x4s to the sides of the existing studs?

if the walls are out an 1 1/2" at the top wouldn't he have to notch the bottoms to meet the floor and install a 2X2 between them at the bottom plate in order to secure the drywall if you screwed 2X4's beside existing ones?

I suppose so, but it still doesn't disrupt the structure of the roof.

Why wouldnt you just add a 2x2 to the bottom sill and do as square eye said, screw 2x4s to excisting studs and your off to the races.

Thanks guys. I actually added a 1.5" firring strip along the bottom, perpedicular to the existing studs, and then half way up added a 1x3. I actually meant "plumb", not level. This did the trick.

Back