Painting design on concrete patio

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DIYNana

Reaction score
I want to paint a design on my concrete patio but won't need a large abount of each color I want to use. All I can find are gallons. Is there some way to get around this? Even a quart would be more than needed for some colors. Don't need the expense or the waste. Can you use anything but concrete paint? Would buy one can of white and tint it myself to colors I want but not sure if an additive would take away the "concrete" properties of the paint. Ideas, please.

Last edited:
That is a good idea. Thank you for the response. Was surprised that with all the DIY that goes on now a days that you can't buy small quantites of that paint.

I don’t know much about decorative painting of concrete, but I do know around here the graffiti sticks to walls and bridges for years and the city has a heck of a time getting it off. I’m pretty sure the people that do this “Art Work” don’t do any kind of surface prep. Just spray cans. The same makers of the spray cans make small cans of the same paint for brush use.

That's a true thought. Though most graffiti doesn't get walked on. Will take a look at going this way. Thanks.

Back