anchor for steel column post

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

minimii

Reaction score
Hello, everybody.
I am replacing the load bearing wall with a steel beam supported by three 4" steel column posts. There is just one floor of bedroom and bathroom above the beam supports. I dug a little bit of where the steel column posts supposed to stand. It is on the old foundation, looks like some type of cinder block. And the where the posts going to be looks like was filled with cement.

My question is, should rebuild the footing, i.e. dug big holes and fill them with cement, or just drill holes and fill with threaded rod and anchor adhesive?

If I have to dug and rebuild the post footing, how big does it need to be?
If just drill holes, how thick and how long the threaded rod need to be?

Thank you very much.

Mini; The curb and footing under the old barring wall was designed to carry the load evenly spaced over the entire length and now you are going to drop half of the load in a 4" area and the out side foundation wasn't designed for any of this load. I hate to sound like a broken record but if you don't want to hire an engineer, you would be better to over kill it. The outside walls will only be taking 10 to 20% of the load but I don't know enough about block to give good advice.
That center post is most problimatic. If a wall is feet high it helps spread the load to the footing but often the curb wall footing is just below the floor and needs to be redone. For bolting things down anchor bolts work really good.

Through_Bolt_Wedge_anchor.jpg

Thanks, nealtw.
If I dig and rebuild a footing for the center post, what size should it be?

All I can tell you is a point load footing is never less than 10" deep and 24" sq and more depending on the load and soil condition and has to be on undesturbed soil. They add a grid of rebar.

Back