Ceiling Corner Water Damage Repair Question

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Fury

Storms a Comin'
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'd just like to double check my repair thoughts here. The ceiling is to an add-on mud room in the garage and the wall is the original garage wall. I have no idea how this water damage happened. I've checked the attic over this area number of times and see no water damage at all.

Anyway, my question is if I need to glue the corner strip down before I mud. I'm not sure if the mud will hold the bowing strip flush or not.

My plan is to scrape the popcorn off the area. Mud. Sand. Then spray the area with some canned ceiling popcorn spray and hope it looks close to the original.

Does that sound about right or are there any things I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Ceiling.jpg

You will want to remove the paper that is loose. If the crack in the corner is not exposed then you can just fill. If it is exposed replace just that peice of paper.

I have fixed stuff like this with white glue using something to squirt it into the edge. Prime that area and repaint the whole ceiling. It is sometimes hard to match the texture. To hold it up when the glue is drying you could use a board against the ceiling and a prop pole to wedge it up from the floor.

Don't forget to use Kilz or other similar stain blocker in the process.

Thanks for all the replies. I'll try the glue and primer. If that doesn't work, I'll get more radical with it.

I really wish I knew where that water came from. I am really confused by it.

Don't waste your time doing the repair until you locate the leak.

I've been watching it and it isn't still leaking. The size has been constant for a while. That's why I'm confused. No idea how or why it is there.

Water can travel great distance and if you have vapour bearier you can have a swimming pool before it shows up. In the attic you want to feel the insulation right down to the ceiling, look for waterstains on the wood near by and look for rusty nails in the framing. A leak could be 10 or 15 ft away and may only show when the wind is blowing one direction. If you roof is against the garage wall, check the flashing above.

You chose to not put your location in your profile for some reason so no one knows if your in an area where it snows or not.
Ice dams and no storm and ice shield under the shingles is a main cause of roofs leaking in that area.
No enough shingle over hang, no starter strip, no drip edging, plugged up gutters if there is any, gutters hung wrong are some other's.

nealtw, that's what's so confusing to me. I've been in the attic multiple times looking for a sign of water. I've pulled away all the surrounding insulation from the area and see no indications of water. I've even attached paper towels to the attic floor above that area and joists leading to it. My idea is that you can tell after a paper towel has been wet at one time. Again, no indication of water.

joecaption, I never noticed I didn't put that in, thanks. I live outside of St. Louis, MO. Yes, there is snow and ice. However, this is the back wall of the garage sharing a wall with the kitchen. So, that is more in the middle of the roof and not near any roof valleys.

I glued the strip and damaged some of the popcorn with a piece of wood and reverse clamp I used. Grabbed a can of texture that I had and, of course, it sat too long ad is bad. I'm going to get another can and fix the texture. I'll leave it like that for a couple more storms to double check that it really isn't leaking and then paint.

Thanks again to everyone that commented.

Then, there is always a possibility of a void in the insulation and you had condensation on the inside of the wall???????

Just another guess, does there happen to be an unvented gas heater, fireplace ECT. in that room?
They put out a lot of moisture.
I have one in a rental that is more for looks and to use if the power goes out.
The renter calls and says there water running down the windows and the A/C keeps coming on, keep in mind this is in winter and it's below freezing outside.
The renter had the fireplace going full blast, three electric space heaters on at one time set to high.
It was 85 deg. in the house and she said she was still cold.
She had messed with the remote for the minisplit and had set it so if it got to hot the A/C would come on.
There was water running down the walls and left stains everywhere.

Back