Front entrance problems

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albertkao

Reaction score
My home's front entrance consists of several big stones.
There are some gaps betweens the big stones.
Please suggest solutions to the problems.
The gap as shown in the attached files 1 and 2 is between concrete and stone, should I cover the gap with concrete?
The gaps as shown in the attached files 3, 4 and 5 are between adjacent stones. I had moved the stones last year horizontally so that there are no gaps. However, the gap reappear this year.
Another problem is that the stones are not even vertically. I had moved the stones last year and leveled the small stones underneath, then moved the stones back. However, the stones become uneven vertically again this year.

Entrance 001.jpg

Entrance 002.jpg

Entrance 003.jpg

Entrance 004.jpg

Entrance 005.jpg

suggest you follow the advice you got in the other forum,,, those aren't ' stones ', either - its concrete ! ! !

( ' uneven vertically ' is usually described as mis-aligned & ' differing elevations ' )

Seeing that you are in Canada unless you set these in a 6" base of concrete I think you are spinning your wheels.

Freeze thaugh cycles will heave these every year.

Second best would be a 6" bed of stone dust.

Remove the stones dig out all the dirt and spread in the stone dust, then compact the heck out of it and set your stones.

This would keep the heaving to a minimum.

Good Luck

Back