hair line on concrete slab

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axe

Reaction score
hi,

I got my concrete pour in 5 sacks about 14 yards. After the contactor finish pouring the slab. I started to see hair line crack through out the drive way. Why is that. He said sometime it has that crack.

Concrete shrinks, and you need to groove a control joint into the concrete. This way the crack is going to be less noticable.

Just the way it is.:(

normal ? no, of course not ! ! ! if that were the case, it wouldn't be the world's largest building mtl,,, however, they aren't unusual & the fault's often found w/the contractor,,, you don't mention what TYPE of crack's there so its difficult to give any advice,,, do like the idea of a sign'd letter - good luck w/that ! ! ! :rofl:

Thanks for the reply. He does have control joint. It even crack on the smallest slab that is only 5x8. THat why it drive me naughts. Concrete sucks. but what it is, is what it is. Thanks

axe -

If the contractor used too much water or idi not finish the concrete correctly, you can expect cracks (especially thin surface cracks). - That is why there are good contractors and bad contractors.

The surface cracks are not minimized by control joints that are for other purposes.

Back