Former Window Wells Problem

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Missuzo

Reaction score
The former owners took out 2 windows alongside the fireplace in my living room in my 1936 home. They threw in a piece of hardboard and left the storm windows in. 5 to 6 years ago, my uncle removed the storm windows and put in proper drywall/insulation/plywood/siding. In the last couple of years, I've noticed that the interior walls have a moist "shine" on the tape where the new drywall meets the plaster. It seems that moisture is getting in. I'm wondering if perhaps there should have been a different kind of insulation used or if anyone has suggestions on what I should do to fix the problem. I don't know if removing the cedar shingle siding and adding a sort of barrier on the outside is the fix or adding better insulation in the wills themselves is what is needed.

Thanks.

Missuzo, welcome to House Repair Talk.

Are you sure its wet? Is there a moisture barrier on the outside of the house under the siding? Does the drywall seem to be puffed out? Post a picture if you can, so we can get a better idea of the problem area you are seeing.

I don't think there is a moisture barrier between the plywood and cedar shakes. It feels oily rather than wet and as you can see just follows where the taping/mudding was done (rather poorly by me, I admit). The drywall is not damaged at all.

IMG_6337.jpg

IMG_6336.jpg

If this was my job? We would remove a piece of the drywall to see what is happenning behind the wall assembly. Guessing what is goin in is not a good solution with water issues. If there is water behind the sheetrock, and I suspect a little mold, then you know if there is an issue with the exterior wall assembly. Sheetrock is the easier thing to replace, and if there is damage, you want to address it now before winter.
Hope this helps, and use a hose to get the wall wet.:)

If it were winter time I would suspect condensation caused by cold air getting into the space behind the drywall tape. Since its summer that would likely be weird. Where it wouldn't be too weird is if the house is not air conditioned, there is high humidity and high heat inside, you have cool nights and the moisture is only present first thing in the morning.

As inspectorD suggest, I would open that wall up from the inside (first). The drywall taping job is horrible (Sorry Uncle). Then take some pictures of whats going on and we can maybe further diagnose.

As inspectorD suggest, I would open that wall up from the inside (first). The drywall taping job is horrible (Sorry Uncle). Then take some pictures of whats going on and we can maybe further diagnose.

and some pics of the outside while we have a pic request in. The more I look at it, it looks like they painted the taped areas with enamel...

Back