Frankenstein A/C Unit

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmsc

Reaction score
If an A/C unit is 'repaired' with a capacitor that's too small for the unit, could that potentially damage the compressor?

Background: A/C unit breaks down at least 1/year, usually 'fixed' under home warranty by replacing the capacitor, amoung other issues...
4/25 annual repair 'fixed' by replacing the capacitor.
5/28 breaks again.
6/1 new repair company, capacitor top looked like a muffin top, per repair guy, issue = 'bad capacitor, probably too small voltage' and 'compressor is dead'

I'm sick of trusting the repair guy without knowing what he's talking about. Also, I'm starting to doubt that the repair guys know what they're doing. So, in order that I can be armed and knowledgeable when I call the home warranty people, I'm asking you all!

Can the compressor/heat pump of an A/C unit be harmed by the installation of a too small capacitor?
Will the installation of a too small capacitor cause said capacitor to fail?

Can the compressor/heat pump of an A/C unit be harmed by the installation of a too small capacitor? Yes
Will the installation of a too small capacitor cause said capacitor to fail? Yes

Back