laminate vs Hardwood floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There are several factors to consider, but overall, REAL is always better than fake. I realize that there is a difference in price, but in the long run, it is worth it. Especially if this is for your own personal home. Even if it is a rental or a flip, you will usually add enough value by using real wood to cover the difference in price. I can tell you first hand that you can put real wood floors down for as little as 1.99 s.f., and many of the "higher end" species for around $5 s.f. including Walnut, Maple, Poplar, Oak, Cherry, Sassafras and Heart Pine. In my opinion, there is just no comparison!

Last edited:
Many people have asked me if laminate flooring is better than a traditional hardwood floor. My answer to that is an emphatic no. A hardwood floor is a much better option. It might be more expensive, but it is authentic. Laminate is essentially an imitation. Although if its done right it can look okay.

I've been on some decent laminates that feel pretty authentic, but hardwood has always appeared and felt superior in my experience.

Most wood installers will tell you to never put 3/4 solid on concrete, only use engineered.

Back