What should we use on our stairs?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

outtamymind

Reaction score
We have light maple hardwood floors throughout downstairs, and we're going to do away with the carpet upstairs and on the stairs. The upstairs floor will be dark cherry to match the flooring we just put in our daughter's room. We haven't come up with a game plan on what to resurface the stairs in. Ideally, I'd like to match them to the maple that's downstairs, but we don't want to spend that much on it.

Anybody have any ideas on how to tie the two floors together nicely? I'll post some pics later.

-Thanks

We're now thinking about maybe a slate tile or something like that. Not sure what we'd do at the nose of the treads, but I've got a couple ideas floating around in my head.

Hey Travis:
The slate or marble tile would look great with a nosing of maple. Nosings are available in various thicknesses and sizes and would not cost near what a whole stair tread would. The risers could be stained cherry or just painted gloss black. It would mirror and highlight the slate or marble.
I'm looking forward to the pictures on this one.
Glenn

We're now thinking about maybe a slate tile or something like that. Not sure what we'd do at the nose of the treads, but I've got a couple ideas floating around in my head.
Slate tile looks great on stairs and its not slippery however it varies is thickness through out each tile and can be tricky to put it. They do however have a tile that is very close to the slate look and is a lot more even in thickness. We put it our en suite and it looks great.
Glenns idea of a Maple nose is excellent. You can play around with stains till you get just the right colour to match downstairs.

Hey all, I'm back on the site! I realized that I hadn't even seen these replies, from over 4 years ago... I plan on staying commited to sticking around now and hopefully I'll have something to offer. I know I definitely need the help! :eek: So with that said, I still haven't done anything to the stair treads yet. We left the carpet, but I would still like to do that project someday. I'll be sure to post pics of the other things we've done so far on some new posts.

See ya around!

" "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abraham Lincoln"
He must have been a lawyer, a logger would have come to work with a sharp axe.

" "Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abraham Lincoln"
He must have been a lawyer, a logger would have come to work with a sharp axe.

And a limp, from the missing toes....:D

I think slate tile would look nice like others have mentioned. A friend of mines added that and it looked good

Latest posts

Back