Garage floor cracked

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daddy4life85

Reaction score
So I'm working on setting up a shop in our little garage and the floor is cracked in several places and has shifted a bit so there are a couple different levels. Over the last few years it has not shifted anymore then where it sits now so I'm looking at options to refinish it for a flat surface. One thing I've considered is adding a 2-3" thick layer on top of the current floor by cleaning it really good and then acid etching it so that the new concrete bonds well.

Forgot, here's a picture of the floor.

P1000904.jpg

all sounds good but, unfortunately, your conc won't read this forum NOR will it do anything but what it wants to do UNLESS you're skilled enough,,, w/o repairing fixing those crks 1st, they'll only reflect thru,,, you COULD probably place an unbonded o'lay reinforced w/#4 bar successfully but i wouldn't pick a bonded bond'd o'lay.

expect the original problem came about 'cause there weren't good jnts,,, how do you KNOW the floor hasn't moved - have you done any movement tests ?

I planned on filling the cracks before laying the new concrete on top.

As far as the floor not moving I've measured the cracks over a year and they haven't changed. Also the building it self has no cracks in the wall or anything it seems to just be the floor.

I'm not really sure what you're talking about with the conc reading the forum and what not....

since you say they're not moving, i'd seal 'em w/mortar & place an unbonded o'lay,,, btw, we use plaster of paris to ck movement - plaster over the crk & see what/when/where it crks.

conc reads nothing - that was a reference to many inspectors, over the yrs, holding specifications under my nose re certain items we were doing,,, i'd smile & tell 'em the conc wasn't reading 'em so leave me alone,,, they ALWAYS bought my finished work :beer:

You can use some polyurethane products for filling the cracks and then use unbounded concrete overlays. However be sure of what is causing the cracks, other wise this all may be turn out to be a futile expenditure

Or just live with it. Its gona be a shop!
:hide:

I have a similar problem and have opted to have the area ground down flat and filled with an epoxy filler designed for use on concrete. The grinder can be rented for less than $50 for a day and a 7" diamond grinding wheel costs $100 or you can pay someone $300 (as I am did) to do it for you.

I am covering the entire garage floor with 55 mil vinyl mat that comes in 9' x 20' rolls and can be glued down or just laid on top of the concrete. With epoxy paint the cost would be about the same and the crack you show and with paint any high traffic areas will quickly show the wear and if any moisture comes up from beneath the slab it can blister.

The garage dont look that big, what maybe 10 or 11 x 16 or so. I would jack hammer it up and poor a new one. for what you pay for two or three inches on top of that and most likely the old floor will crack through the new layer, you can add an extra inch with wire for almost nothing above the cost of the 2-3 inches. You can rent a jack hammer and bust it up yourself.

Leo
trimplus(dot)biz

wire's a great idea,,, it'll hold the crk'd pieces together afterwards :rofl:

i think the best idea is to PREVENT the old floor's crks from reflecting UP into the new conc but i only place & repair conc for a living,,, you say the crks hadn't mov'd - how did you measure 'em & over what period of time ?

Latest posts

Back