Kitchen Peninsulas; School me on them

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ISUzj

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Looking for some good first hand knowledge about kitchen peninsulas, we are tearing a wall out b/t the dining room and the kitchen and planning on putting a small-med sized peninsula in.

we are thinking it will be 5 feet long, and about 2-1/2 feet deep. What do I need to do for a base that will be strong and secure?:confused:

oh and we are planning on 2-maybe-3 barstools for the dining room side.

Any plumbing or electrical desired on this peninsula?

Any plumbing or electrical desired on this peninsula?

I am thinking maybe an outlet on the end, unless I can do somthing cool with like an accent light for the walkway into the kitchen. But probrably no sink on this one, we are going to keep it on the other side of the kitchen, use this mainly as a serving one.

I saw one that was only about 16" wide and about 8 " higher than the normal kitchen height I might like that style

based on waht I have seen. I can build a box frame on the floor, and then do cabinet trim on the kitchen side and then do a flat panel on the stool side. Am I along the right lines?

Yep that's pretty much it but, don't waste space, you might as well build some storage area into it on the kitchen side. Pull some wire from an existing source and mount an outlet on the end of the build.

Hey everyone,

Looking for some good first hand knowledge about kitchen peninsulas, we are tearing a wall out b/t the dining room and the kitchen and planning on putting a small-med sized peninsula in.

we are thinking it will be 5 feet long, and about 2-1/2 feet deep. What do I need to do for a base that will be strong and secure?:confused:

oh and we are planning on 2-maybe-3 barstools for the dining room side.

I did that exact thing in a rental house, that was built in 1964. Took out a ultra-sexy louvered half wall. No idea why they put that in.

I simply removed the louvers, pulled the drywall off the studs, and cut the wall down to the correct height. I then installed a "header" and installed the peninsula. I put a couple balusters on the kitchen side for stability.

Here's a before & after pair of pictures. Obviously the job wasn't completely finished, but you get the idea.

5852_124468502917_504972917_2548996_4932520_n.jpg

5852_124437697917_504972917_2548637_2565435_n.jpg

Wow, that looks nice and clean, so when you said you installed a header, If I am getting this right, you gutted part of the ceiling and firred it out, or are you refering to the top of the stub wall.

Also how can I secure the top down well? we were at a friends house and he leaned on the overhaning part of one of those and we could see the whole thing flex, that made me nervous for doing ours. Is there a trick to that?

I have a peninsula that is 7 feet long or so by about 3 feet deep. It has standard base cabinets under one end and then just a post on the other end. We often will seat our family of 4 at the peninsula for dinner versus the kitchen table a few feet away or dining room that is 15 feet away.

Wow, that looks nice and clean, so when you said you installed a header, If I am getting this right, you gutted part of the ceiling and firred it out, or are you refering to the top of the stub wall.

Also how can I secure the top down well? we were at a friends house and he leaned on the overhaning part of one of those and we could see the whole thing flex, that made me nervous for doing ours. Is there a trick to that?

Sorry for my poor terminology. I meant that I installed a "header" on the top of the remaining wall, not the ceiling. The sexy louvered wall was not a supporting wall.

I forget exactly, but I think I cut the studs down to 32", put a double 2x4 on top as the "header," then installed the counter-top. Finished height is (I think) right at 36 inches.

It's a 27" wide counter-top and, as you can see, the majority of it hangs on the kitchen side of the wall. For support on that side, in addition to being abutted to the regular wall, I installed two balusters for support.

I attached the counter-top to the wall by use of slotted angle iron on each side of the wall. I forget the exact size, but it was probably about 1-1/2 inch. It was an off-the-shelf deal at Home Depot. Looked like this:
zinc_plated_slotted_angle_steel_n180.jpg

The biggest trick is to make sure the top of the "wall" is level. If not, the counter-top peninsula will be catty-whompass.

Bottom line: it wasn't as difficult as you might think.

Latest posts

Back