plumber vs electrician: who does the work first?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennifer14

Reaction score
Hi,
Just trying to get a basic understanding of the process of building a master bedroom with bath addition. When it's time for the plumbing and electrical to go in, do the plumber and electrician go in at the same time or does one usually do the work first before the other one starts? If one starts first, does it matter who?
Thanks.

It goes something like this.
feasibility study , city
draw up plans.
get permits.
Identify problems, gas water sewer, overhead or under ground power lines.
Dig hole to solid undisturbed soil, usually match existing five feet clearence on all sides.
size the footing to match soil condition usually matches existing, may require city or geotech inspection
Locate pins for the building. may require survey co.
Prep the footing a wall forms complete with rebar, may require city geo tech and survey inspections
Install concrete, hold down bolts anything required for earthquakes
remove forms, water proof foundation, install perimeter drain, city inspection before backfilling
frame the building.
plumber locates vents for roofer, hvac locates vent for fans for roofer
Have roofing installed
install windows and exterior doors, sheeting city inspection before house wrap goes up
Siding can go up while others work inside.
Rough plumbing. inspected
hvac
electrical inspected
framing inspection
insulation inspected
drywall
interior wood work
paint
floors and tile work
finish plumbing
finish electrical
finish hvac
inspection final
Things may be a little different as per location, hope this helps.

Thank you!!! (And apologies for the slow reply!)

I knew there needed to be several inspections but hadn't appreciated just how many. The information I've come across has shown the windows and doors going in *before* the roof goes up, which didn't make much sense to me since you're risking damaging the windows.

We're often out second or third floor over the side of mountain putting up skirt roofs and build scaffolding out the window holes and never install windows before the roofer is done and if they ever fall with there safey ropes, the last thing you want is a roof swinging into the window.
In my list I forgot the gutter guy usually after the siding guy.

Latest posts

Back