What to give to the GC

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nameless.clueless

Reaction score
Hi,

In order to demo and create a new kitchen -changing the layout completely- what should one begin with in terms of giving something to the GC or a contractor to start the work?

Is the blueprint of the design the way to do this? How detail the blueprint should be and where can I get guidance to start drawing something for the new design?

What are the things that should be taking care of before putting the work to reality?

I would not want at installation time where something is off in inches and has to be reordered.

Any advice? I don't plan in hiring an architect.

Thank you
Clueless

nameless, my first recommendation first and foremost, would be to set what your budget is. Then add 30 % to it, maybe more if you make changes after the work has begun(change orders). If you can handle it financially start to interview 3 contractors after you have defined a very detailed scope of work. Get a written proposal from each. If they are not willing to put their quote in writing look for someone else.You have to decide exactly what you want the finished product to be.
-Make sure your contractor provides you with a permit before he begins work and that all appropriate inspections are made by codes.
-Make sure you get references and ask for pictures of recent projects. You are entering into a business relationship with someone, make sure you fell comfortable with them. DO NOT PAY FOR WORK THIS IS NOT COMPLETE OR AT A PRE-AGREED STAGE.
-Do you want new cabinets?
-Do you want new counter tops? If so what kind.
-Do you want new lighting?
-What type of wall treatment.
-What about appliances? Replacing/ reusing existing
-What type of flooring options are you interested in.
-Be sure to set a time line on the project completion.
-How are you prepared to pay for the work, money in hand or bank loan. Contractors and his subs need to be paid for the work preformed and materials used, but hold a retainage(usually 10% customary) till the job is complete. Loans sometime require a loan officer to visit the job site so as to release funds.
-Are you planning on living in the house during renovation? If so are you prepared on having workers in your face every morning while your getting ready for work. Trades people usually start work early.

Its really important that you communicate with the contractor that you hire before hand, just EXACTLY what your expectations are and be sure everything is put in writing before the first tool belt shows up to work. The more details that are spelled out in the beginning, the less room for disappointment at the end of the project.

This is only a starting point, there are many more questions and answers that need to be made. If you don't know what you want a contractor is not a mind reader. Do your research and learn all you can about what you are planning on starting

You can find reference books at most home improvement stores and most of the big box stores have a computer design person that will be able to help you design your new space.

Good luck with your project!

Just to get you started.... remodel a kitchen - Google Books
The second from the bottom has a good checklist of updates. Finding a contractor? Just enter that in the search box at the top, press enter, 100 more books to review with previews. Be safe, G

I have the most wonderful contractor. He did our kitchen and is now working very patiently on my bathrooms.

After you do all your research (as spelled out in the first answer), I would give him or her the most detailed plan you can make. Write notes on it and spell out your preferences if some choice might have to be made at some point.

When I had my tub/shower tiled, there was the possibility that a row of tile going around the corner of the deck might in line with the end of the tub or it might need an "L" cut. I wrote on there that if the question came up, I would prefer the "L". I was very specific that a row of whole and half tiles set as diamonds and triangles should be the width of the whole tiles from point to point, which dictated where the triangles would be cut.

It all turned out to be very helpful.

But I would also be there while they are working if you can be, just in case they miss something. I had slightly larger crown molding than usual above my Kitchen Cabinets, and the installers hung it as they normally would. I pointed it out to my GC later that night (he came and checked the work every night) and he had them rehung the very next day, moving them down just 1/4 inch.

You are paying a lot of money, you really don't want them to have to redo things or have to live with a mistake.

Back