Garage door does not open (trolley stuck?)

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Mike,

I think I finally got the limits to work. I was having problems to get the limits to stay. I think it is probably because the garage door is not balanced and may be causing too much drag on the limits. I am going to get the door balanced and post back. For now after a couple of attempts the garage door is connected and limits are holding up. Thanks again for your help. I will post back with more info once door is balanced.

Thanks,
Alu

Hi all,
Posting back as promised. I had to get a garage door guy to get my door balanced. However, we found that the limits kept changing each time the garage door was closed or opened. So we looked opened the box and inspected the gear assembly again. We found that the issue with the limit switch was due to a wear out of the bushing (photo attached) on the gear shaft. If you look closely the bushing hole has become oval. Due to this, the lower (small) drive gear was rotating extra turns, causing the limits to go out of whack. Once this bushing was replaced, the limits issue was fixed.

bushing_zpsa7328bbb.jpg

bushing2_zpsecd43b10.jpg

I know this is an old post but this is pretty much the solution. When the trolley jams either at the door end or head unit end it is something to do with the limits. Sometimes the limit assembly will skip over the contact to stop opening or closing and that causes a huge mess of issues but usually you can take the assembly apart a little and get everything back to where you need it. Sometimes the little gear that moves the limit switch back and forth loses contact with the gear at the bottom of the gear and sprocket assembly. I have had to wedge a folded up piece of paper or cardboard in there to get the contact to remain consistent a few times. If anyone has any questions about garage door stuff feel free to post and hope I see it or just send me a message.

Last edited:
Back