Flooring on Concrete - Water Putty

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Muffin

Reaction score
I have a little rental house. It sits on a concrete slab. I had a toilet that was rock and rolling. My brother repaired it using Water Putty. We put new vinyl down at the same time. In about a year, the renter showed me discoloration around the toilet, where the water putty was used. The Durham Water Putty box doesn't mention using it on concrete. Emails to them go unanswered. The bathroom had vinyl for some 20 years with no problem.
How do I fix? Going to hire someone to do the job, since I also need to update the plumbing for the sink. Thank you

I don't think there's any problem using water putty on concrete providing it stays dry.

Water putty is what they use to fill knots in the plies of plywood. It's water resistant, but not water proof. Also, it's not super strong.

I think what may have happened is that the water putty may have shrank a bit as it dried, and that allowed some wiggle room for the toilet to move. If the water putty was in continuous contact with water, I expect it would have softened up, allowing the toilet to move more and more and more until it started to leak. I'd have a plumber look at the toilet floor flange and see if he can find a reason for it to have started leaking.

The purple/brown discolouration that you see inside linoleum is actually mold or mildew growing in the paper backing of the linoleum. That means the paper backing of the linoleum has gotten wet. To my knowledge, there is no way of cleaning or removing this discoloration besides replacing the linoleum.

Last edited:
It would have been better to have used a cement based floor filler on concrete.

This may be a duplicate.

I finally got a reply from Durham Water Putty. Never use water putty with the vinyl, because it will cause some vinyl to discolor.

So I am going to remove part of the vinyl around the toilet to see what is below.
Mold or discoloration. Remove the water putty and found a good floor guy and call "A Good Plumber". They only week Mon-Friday. Need to replace the sink & drain.
The realtor suggested tile, but need to see if it will clear the door first.

Thank you for your help.

Back