looking for ideas for the top 3' of an 11' wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jkrew

Reaction score
I am remodeling the middle room of our earth contact home. This particular wall is 11' tall and 42' long. Originally, it had sheet rock from the floor to 8' high and the remaining 3' was paneling. After replacing the chipboard ceiling with sheet rock, replacing the paneling with sheet rock was the next step. However, after removing the paneling it was found that it wouldn't be that easy. There is a wall cap where the sheet rock ends and 2x6 go on up to the ceiling - 24" centers (and yes, this is a load bearing wall). The wall itself is 2x4's so the 2x6 extend to the outside surface of the sheet rock.
So, anyone have any off the wall ideas to finish this space? One idea was to turn it into shelving/nook space for whatnots and such (not keen on that due to difficulty in dusting), another would be to install decorative panels, or replace the 2x6's with 2x4's on 16" centers and going ahead with the sheet rock. Not completely opposed to this, but started to view this as an opportunity to make lemonade out of lemons and try something a little different.

Any ideas greatly appreciated!
Thanks

And why not run the sheetrock up to the ceiling. They should have ran the sheetrock horizonally with 12' long sheets all the way up in the first place.
And you right to be concered about the dust forming and no way to clean it.

How often do you have guests who are 12' tall? Because the normal adult will not have a clue that dust is present up there, much less see it. And once or twice a year, if it really bothers you, just break out a ladder, and tidy things up.

For that matter, when's the last time you dusted the top of your refrigerator, a mere 6' or so off the floor?

Two thought,
1 strap the lower wall and drywall the whole wall.
2 drywall the upper part and add crown molding where it changes.

I think I'm leaning toward just putting rock over the hole and putting the crown molding at the transition and using it for some lighting. That would keep me from putting rock over rock and having to deal with the doorways. And yes, they should have put rock all the way up in the beginning. Other than cutting costs, not sure why the original owner (builder) did this.

- trying to decide if I'd want the cove lighting to go to the ceiling, the floor or try to make it go both ways. Not sure about the downward lighting due to the doors (4 total). I think it'd make you think you were getting scanned each time you went through a door.

Bridgeman: Not many guests come by that are 12' tall anymore, if any came by, could have them grab a dust rag as the wife isn't very fond of the ladder! :eek: Guess that's why the top of the fridge hasn't been dusted...:rolleyes:

Think about laying rope lighting on top of that crown, low heat, indirect lighting.

Back