Insulation requirements for addition/ garage.

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edselsouth1

Reaction score
I'm trying to go forward and complete an addition begun by the property's previous owner, and have a few questions concerning insulation of spaces.
First question: The upper floor exterior walls are of 2x4 construction, 7/16 OSB sheathing, and 1/2" green foamboard (shiplap) caulked at each joint and around the perimeter. Foamboard seams are staggered. What insulation should be used on the interior of these exterior wall, R-19 faced or unfaced, and 1/2" drywall?
Second question: The second floor has 3/4" OSB over 12" i-joist construction on 16" centers. Nothing else at present time. What insulation under the 3/4" OSB to get maximum protection. I would like to spray foam, but #1 -cost is prohibitive at this time, and #2-the insulators here are not willing to come and do a "small" job (approximately 500 sq. ft.). The project is about 25 miles from the nearest insulator.
Thanks for your responses and advise. David.

The foam board is a vapour barrier so you don,t use insulation with facing. Safe and Sound has a fire quality. The cieling in the garage should have 5/8 drywall and should be taped and filled to stop off gasses from autos.

nealtw.... Thanks for your response. The i-joists are 12" depth. Where should a vapor barrier be placed when using such as Roxul Safe & Sound? The garage will be a finished, non-conditioned space. The exterior walls of the garage are 2 x 6 PT construction on 16" centers, 7/16" OSB with 1/2" green foamboard also, so no facing on the insulation. Thanks, David.

Last edited:
They never put a vapour barrier in the floor and you always want airflow under the insulation like under a house but they seem always to forgo that in a garage. I don't know the rules on it, but I never see anything but insulation and 5/8 drywall. on the ceiling.

nealtw..... Thanks. I believe that will answer my questions for now. Time to get back on the project. I appreciate your time and knowledge. David.

Latest posts

Back