Separation Between Carport & House Slab

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

billhead1

My carport and house foundation consist of two separate concrete pours...one for the carport and the other for the house. Due to instability of the soil under the carport, this slab moved horizontally approximately 1 to 1.5 inches, creating an unsightly gap. To make matters worse, it tends to move about an inch horizontally between summer and winter due to temperature and possibly soil moisture. I have stabilized the horizontal movement of the carport foundation. Since the carport slab was designed to butt up to the foundation curb, vertical leveling will not be required.

I closed the crack with Great Stuff expansion foam but its appearance unsatisfactory. I'm looking for an expandable joint solution or a decent looking topcoat I can place over the foam after digging out enough foam to acomodate the topcoat.

I had the same problem with my garage and driveway slabs. Over the course of 2 freeze/thaws, I would pour sandbox sand into the crack. Within a year, I was able to add 1 60lb. bag of sand to fill the void underneath. From there you can add brick paver sealer and it will set up as hard as a grouted joint.

To make matters worse, it tends to move about an inch horizontally between summer and winter due to temperature and possibly soil moisture. I have stabilized the horizontal movement of the carport foundation. Since the carport slab was designed to butt up to the foundation curb, vertical leveling will not be required.

Back