Advice on hardscaping our landscaping

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lcm5479

Reaction score
I want to pour concrete in a mow-curbed border in our back yard. The yard is hugh and too much for me to care for so I want keep some plants/flowers in areas and concrete in between 5-6 feet and add small rocks into that concrete for decoration. I also would like to pour this concrete at a slight upward angle/grade if possible. My concerns are this: what do I do about the sprinklers we need for the plants that are kept? how do you pour concrete at an angle/grade on dirt? what do I do about possible lighting? ( I was thinking of going solar), and I would be pouring a against a wood fence that has space between each board. Also I would leave little "cut-outs" in the concrete for future planting of flowers. Any advice you can give would be great. thanks.

Just some thoughts...use drip irrigation for the plants and sprinklers for the lawn... If the crete is thick enough, you can angle the pour which I assume is for water run off and need not be much of an angle...solar is good for minimum lighting...I wouldn't pour directly against the fence. Leave a gap of an inch or two. If you pour against the fence, it can cause the wood to rot...and as for cutouts, build and your forms higher than your pour...

When it comes to landscaping there are many options for updating an old and outdated property to increase value and utility. One of the most dramatic ways to change an old or misused space is by adding hardscape features. Hardscapes provide several important elements to an outdoors space. You can install automatic sprinklers in your garden, they are easy to install.

If you want to really pretty things up, try broadcasting colored stones (usually available in 40-lb. bags, various colors) into the concrete after you've made your last passes with a mag or resin float. Work the stones in with a mag, then wait for a half-hour or so, to give the mortar/fines a chance to set and lock the stones in place. Then gently flush with water (hose nozzle set on fine spray) while brooming away the excess mortar with a heavy street broom. Wet cure for a few days, then give it a wash with a very dilute (1:10, acid to water) muriatic acid wash. Give it a final coat of Kure-N-Seal to bring out the color, and get ready to watch your friends turn green with envy!

Thank you all for your advice. We will give it a try after a little more proceedural research. Thanks.

Back