Does this quote to build my bathroom shower seem too cheap?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeLink

Reaction score
I received my first quote for building a stand up tile shower, roughly 30"x60" with 8' ceilings, in my second floor condo, pictured below. I'm either out of touch with what this should cost, or this is too good to be true. As it says, it does not include plumbing or drywall work, but I figured the build and tile work would be more. Total for the pre-fab pan option and floor tile is around $2000, with the mud pan being $1000 more.

How does this sound do you? Does a mud pan offer any benefit over a pre-fab pan?

bathroom.jpg

bathroom-quote.jpg

"Price does not include electrical, plumbing or drywall" is one concern. I also don't see where this is a permitted job. Is this guy licensed? Does he have insurance? Have you seen other work performed by him? Where are the other two to three bids?

"Price does not include electrical, plumbing or drywall" is one concern. I also don't see where this is a permitted job. Is this guy licensed? Does he have insurance? Have you seen other work performed by him? Where are the other two to three bids?

Thanks for the reply :)

This is a bid through a local interior design and remodeling company. I was told they are licensed and insured. If they aren't, I certainly wouldn't use them, nor would the HOA approve them for the work. I haven't seen other work by them, nor have I received other bids, but I certainly plan on it. I'm mostly asking because I'm a little surprised by the first bid.

Tile over drywall?
Waterproofing seal behind tile?
Grout?
Grout labour?
Sealing in the corners?
Floor repairs?

Tile over drywall?
Waterproofing seal behind tile?
Grout?
Grout labour?
Sealing in the corners?
Floor repairs?

Thank you Neal, sounds like I have a lot of questions I need to have answered. This is exactly why I asked, so I could learn before just saying 'ok'. I didn't realize some of that wasn't 'always' part of the job.

how do you set a shower with out hooking up the drain?

who ever sets the pan, must hook the drain up. also ask, no, DEMAND that the shower drain plumbing be tested for leaks

BEFORE it is covered up. one little leak can cost thousands later

schluter-kerdi [ google it] water proof the walls

It might be but wasn't on the quote.
You want backer board not drywall It needs to be filled with thinset and tape and sealed with at least Regard or sim. product.
I haven't watched the whole video but this guy would not want you to do his prep work.
[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5tl1-4FaxUU[/ame]

Back