Repairing Chip in Tub

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trogdor

burninator
Reaction score
We have an old 1955 tub that is metal with a white finish. I don't know much about tubs but it looks ceramic to me. There is a nickel-sized chip in the finish that is slowly growing larger. I went to Home Depot and found a two-part epoxy product, but the reviews were terrible, with most people saying the product never fully adhered or came right up several weeks later. Others complained of the product turning yellow and looking terrible.

This is not a major eyesore, so if we just have to leave it there, we will. I'm not willing to spend more than $40 or two hours of time on this project. If it can be done inside those parameters, great. If not, that's ok too.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Welcome to the site. You have baked on enamal finish, the steel will rust thru if not repaired The two part epoxy is likely your best bet. It may take a few trys to get it right, it will never dissapear

Thank you for replying. Are you saying the product is a good one and people who have poor results with it are using it incorrectly?

Prep is critical to any adhered product performing. How it holds up in your tub can only be a matter of time and usage. When time and funds allow, look into getting it refinished by a pro. In the meantime give the 2 part a try and don't skimp on prepping.

Yes I would just repeat Oldogs post. Your bathroom is well past overdue for an upgrade and you just want to make it last another ten years.

Thank you. I will be diligent with the prep work. As to the suggestion that the bathroom needs to be remodeled or tub professionally refinished because of a nickel-sized chip in the enamel, I'll pass. Logic like that is the very reason our national leaders have led us into trillions of dollars of debt.

I appreciate the responses. After I use the product from HD, I will stop back by to update with my results.

Back