Redoing my driveway, one skid at a time

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swimmer_spe

Reaction score
My driveway is about 65'x24'.

In a part of it was a 8'x12' shed, that was removed. It was filled in with gravel. Part of it is covered with old patio stones.
The rest is cracked.

I plan on ripping it up and redoing it in pavers. The problem is, to do the entire driveway will be a large cost that is not feasible this year, I cannot do it all. I was thinking of getting a skid at a time and do that much each time.

Anyone ever do it?

Not overly.
You may not find a good base so you would have to remove some replace and compact it, might be tricky working next to finished section. Unless you worked passed your intended stop line. or pulled a foot worth to make sure everything is coming up right.

My dad built the house I grew up in one stud at a time. He would save up and buy what he could and we lived in the part that was somewhat finished. Started out with just a basement.

So I would say yes a drive way should be ok. I had a friend that poured his driveway mixing the concrete in a harbor freight hand mixer he would form off 4x4 and pour it 6” thick one square per night after work. Weekends he would get a few squares done per day. Took all summer but he got it done.

That’s how they build everything in Mexico. Or at least how they did when I was down there.

why not ? if you pick pavers that are in current production, you shouldn't get much color change,,, think about buying a used plate compactor,,, you'll need 1 every time you place a skid,,, when done, sell it

everyone i know does it this way - 1 skid at a time,,, but usually they try to get all the skids down in a day or 2 as 'they' do this work for a living

Latest posts

Back