Yabba-Dabba-Doo!!!!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dgibson

Reaction score
just finished laying out the supply line, and all the drops are done on my DIY Uponor aquaplex total house replumb! just a matter of punching out all the connections and securing tubing etc. the fun stuff, all the grunting and groaning and four letter words are DONE. one question - i decided to add an extra hose bib where i have always wanted one, and thought it would be a good idea to do it in 3/4 for more volume, but i read in another site where the 1/2" and 3/4" hose bibbs have the same 1/4" or so inside outlet hole, so you are defeating the purpose. but couldn't i just drill that hole out to 3/8"?? or perhaps 5/16" first to make sure i don't sacrifice too much pressure??

You can't drill out that hole as it is the seat where the washer goes against to shut off the water.

Friction loss of pressure in a plumbing line has a couple of factors which cause it to vary. The first is the length of the run and the second is the diameter of the line and its relation to the velocity of the water flowing. Increasing the line size to 3/4" will offer an increase in flow availability at the faucet regardless of that small opening at the seat. Just as the difference between that cheap 1/2" garden hose and the more expensive 3/4" garden hose will make in the flow at the nozzle which only has a 1/4" opening.

The pressure loss or, friction loss is a culmination of the entire length of the path of water flowing.

Back