Bedrooms directly off of living space

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhholladay

Reaction score
How many out there live in older homes which were designed without a hallway and with bedrooms directly off of living spaces such as the living room or dining room? How does this work for you?

I'm in the same boat as Travelover. I grew up in a house where the back four bedrooms opened into a living room. It was a dorm setup essentially. If one of my siblings was staying up late or doing anything you heard it.

Me personally, I wouldn't like it very much. I've seen a few homes like that, and the one that made it work was a few of my buddies with a large game room that their bedrooms came out to. Not a bad place, but for "normal" living, I would have to agree, that would suck lol.

Hallways seem to be such a waste of space. We had a long hallway to all bedrooms in my house growing up. But as I look back now, it's a good barrier to the rest of the house. I think it would be so awkward to have a bedroom right off of a living space. I've seen that on plans & not liked it at all.

It wasn't all bad but your right granitegirl a lot of space is wasted to hallways.

I was in an house once from the 1880's (Just visiting) and it was huge. The upstairs had a landing and 5 bedrooms. 3 of the bedrooms were off the landing, but the other 2 you had to go through 2 other bedrooms to get to! Maybe back in those days they were extensions or something off of the main bedrooms?!

Back