cracked above door

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DickJ

Reaction score
Hi all
I have a crack above my entry doo coming from the top left corner to the ceiling at a 45 and have repaired it twice with fiberglass mesh tape and drywall compound and ti keeps comeing back this time of year can anyone help me

try knifing the area first and to expand and clean the gap use glass tape maybe three stripps on top of one another and pull it tight ( really thin) and allow to dry completly. Its ok if you see the tape on this step. then apply a second coat and use paper tape allow to dry sand and finish. If the crack comes back after this you have something structural going on

Sounds like a seasonal framing movement problem. Adding more tape/mud is not going to work, as the movement of the house is much stronger than the tape/mud.

You might try waiting until the gap is at the widest and filling with a flexible caulk. That will allow for movement without seperating. However, that will probably cause a bump when the wall contracts.

The only complete fix is to remove the sheetrock, find the reason the framing is moving, and repair that.

Back