Furnace/AC turns on but won't turn off

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gymjunkie

Reaction score
I have to manually flip the switch on the furnace that turns it on/off otherwise it will just run forever which is a PITA to run up and down the stairs 4-7 times a day. I have never chatted about this stuff before so I have no idea at all what information you need so you're going to have to ask everything you need to know, sorry about that.

Welcome to the site.

Do you have a programmable thermostat or the one that has the little pointer?

Welcome to the site.

Do you have a programmable thermostat or the one that has the little pointer?

Thanks for the welcome! It's digital but not programmable and fresh batteries was the only attempt I made so it's not the batteries lol

Thanks for the welcome! It's digital but not programmable and fresh batteries was the only attempt I made so it's not the batteries lol

The next step I think would be to disconnect the Tstat to prove it is thew problem or if the furnace keeps going it would be a problem at the furnace.

I am hoping someone with more knowledge would jump in here.

The next step I think would be to disconnect the Tstat to prove it is thew problem or if the furnace keeps going it would be a problem at the furnace.

I am hoping someone with more knowledge would jump in here.

Ask me to change the tstat on a car and Ill jump right to it but on the furnace I wouldn't even know where to begin

Ask me to change the tstat on a car and Ill jump right to it but on the furnace I wouldn't even know where to begin

Open the T stat and take a picture of the wires and remove one at a time and see if the furnace quits. It is just 24 volts dc, no big deal.

What is the age of the system and the mfg. model #?

What is the age of the system and the mfg. model #?

The system was put in just 4 years ago with an energy assistance package from our electric company and it was new when they installed it. It's a Payne (love the irony), model number pg9mab036080acsa

Does the thermostat show that it has reached the setpoint?

Yes it does show that it has

There are three things it can be.
the Tstat.
the wire
the furnace.

So disconnect the Tstat.
If you have no change then find the same wires at the furnace and disconnect them.
If no change then it will be looking at the control board or something.

Just take pictures or make good notes before you pull wires.

Ok so I havent gotten to pulling out the tstat yet (my stressed brain was thinking you meant something inside the furnace (hence the car tstat reference), boy did I feel like an idiot this morning when it finally hit me lol) but I did get everything quiet in the house and found that the A/C does in fact turn off, it sounds like it's just the fan that won't shut off.

It's way too hot to test the furnace right now so don't ask lol

Ok so I havent gotten to pulling out the tstat yet (my stressed brain was thinking you meant something inside the furnace (hence the car tstat reference), boy did I feel like an idiot this morning when it finally hit me lol) but I did get everything quiet in the house and found that the A/C does in fact turn off, it sounds like it's just the fan that won't shut off.

It's way too hot to test the furnace right now so don't ask lol

Older systems had a switch at the furnace where you could change the fan from automatic to continuously on and I think you might be able to do that at the Tstat. Pulling the wires would show that it at the Tstat or not.

The fan is controlled by heat so when the furnace shuts off the fan will run until the controls read a lower temp.

Change the setting on the thermostat from "Fan = On" to "Fan = Auto" or "Fan = Cool"

Back