October Deck Build

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mahoogan

Reaction score
I'm currently in the process of building a deck out of Pressure Treated lumber. Originally, I wasn't worried about leaving the wood unprotected over the winter(Central IL) but now I'm not so sure. I had previously only heard that pressure treated lumber needed to dry out for a good 6 months prior to staining. Now I'm also hearing that's a myth and it should be done much sooner. The deck is pretty substantial in size so I don't want to waste money having to replace a bunch of warped decking. My goal is to eventually put on a Translucent or Semi-Transparent Oil on the surface, but I'm not sure of my options at this point. The weather has been getting down into the 30's at night. I contacted Cabot and they don't have any products for use in less than 50F degree weather. Also, my decking is 2"x6", NOT 5/4".

Is there anything I should do prior to winter to protect the soon to finished deck? Or will the lumber most likely be fine until later in spring when a cleaning and staining process could be completed? Thanks for any info.

Back