Options to replace or re-tile kitchen

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If tiles are coming out to easy they have been troweled & set wrong. I don't see any trowel lines.

If tiles are coming out to easy they have been troweled & set wrong. I don't see any trowel lines.
This has something to do with the question?

nealtw said:
This has something to do with the question?

I was answering the Op statement about tiles coming off too easy and that's why.

I was answering the Op statement about tiles coming off too easy and that's why.

Now if someone has ideas on how to trim the tiles next to cupboards so the OP dosn't have to remove them, that info would be usefull.

I've done tile over tile before. here's how I did the prep work undercut baseboards, clean existing tile, remove wax or other coating that are on existing tile, since your tile is not shiny but even if it was scuff it up (you don't have to grind the face off it) any tiles that are high chip just the high part and then fill with a quick set concrete to level that area any low tiles 1/8" or less should be ok once you put the adhesive down to set new tiles anything deeper you should fill in as far as adhesives go use a modified thin set mortar i use Tec TC393 superflex white while the drytime will be extended going tile over tile you will still get a solid bond and then just grout as usual

Zeeya

Remove the existing tile floor by breaking it up, starting at the grout lines with a hammer or iron chisel, then use sledge hammer where it is needed. Use floor Scraper to remove any residues mortar, sub floor should be smooth spread thinset mortar at the middle of the floor press the tiles in the thinset mortar at the intersecting lines.

Back