NASA finds LOTS of water on the Moon

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nestor_Kelebay

Emperor Penguin
Reaction score
The Google web page just changed it's "Google Doodle" or homepage image to commemorate the discovery of H2O on the Moon.

Last month, NASA sent the spent third stage of a rocket crashing into a crater near the south pole of the moon. 4 minutes later a spectrograph crashed into the same crater and sent back chemical analyses of the dust kicked up by the first crash. At the time, the mission was a PR dud because the large plume of dust expected to be kicked up just didn't materialize.

The information sent back from that mission has been analyzed, and NASA announced just a few hours ago that the dust ejected by the first crash contained H2O in the form of both ice crystals and water vapour.

Also, they didn't find just a bit of water, they found lots of it. So, they now know that there's plenty of water near the south pole of the Moon, at least.

That means that any human habitation on the Moon could use the existing water that's already there for both sustinance and to make rocket fuel. And, that in turn, means that the Moon can serve as a jumping off point for future manned missions deeper into space. Carrying water from Earth to the Moon would be prohibitively expensive, and would effectively limit exploration of the solar system to robotic missions. Finding water on the Moon makes human exploration and possible habitation of other planets and moons possible.

The Associated Press: Splash! NASA moon crash struck lots of water

Last edited:
Oh great. Now we'll get complaints of leaky basements on the moon. :D

I'm sure NASA is going to screen it's astronauts for rednecks from now on. You don't want one of them to take the moon buggy 4-wheeling in the mud up there.

Last edited:
On behalf of all redneck 4-wheelers, when does the next shuttle launch. 4-wheelin in 1/6 gravity could be a you tube moment. Next you'll tell me they have gators and girls catfish grabblin up there.

Oldog/Newtrick:

That reminds me of a redneck joke.

Question: What are the toughest 5 years in any redneck's life?

Answer: Grades 7 and 8.

Wow, water on the moon, that's crazy

Alexa:

No, there's plenty of H20 on the Moon, but probably no "water" at all. The Moon is way too cold and there's insufficient pressure for H2O to exist as a liquid on the Moon.

We're talking about 4-wheeling in mud on the Moon because we're ignoring reality in favour of 4-wheeling in muck.

Just like there are "reality TV" show, this is an "unreal" Q&A forum.

Sure. I started selling tickets online. I can't wait to get up there and eat a big old chunk of that thing.

If there is a God, then he won't allow 4-wheeling in muck on the Moon. He would have made the Universe so that couldn't happen.

And he's probably think long and hard about us going to the Moon for extreme snowboarding too.

Last edited:
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm green cheeze...I hope that's the way the spell it up there too!!

muddin??? what am I gonna attach my winch to????we are so screwwed.....:help:

Back