Patio water problem - need cheap, creative fix

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shultzb

Reaction score
Hi all,

I have a concrete patio that is 12' X 7'. The 12' side is against the house (which is red brick). Over the years the patio has sunk 3 " near the house and the water runs toward the house. I'm getting some water in the basement from this.

Of course, I would like the water to flow away from the house. Is there an inexpensive (and maybe creative) way to fix this?

A few ideas I have:
1-Clean the concrete and house wall.
2-Recaulk where the patio meets the wall.
3-Seal the cement.
(Hopefully steps 1-3 will make it water tight, but the water still flows toward the house.)
4-Now cover the patio with a filler (not sure what), that slopes away from the house.
5-Cover that with pond liner.
6-Cover the pond liner with...something that looks nice and won't wash away....

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks a lot!

B. Shultz

Yes, that's a great option and I might do that. It would have to be one that can be rolled in when it is not raining, as it probably would not look very good there.
Thanks!

Find a company in your area that lifts slabs by pumping foam under it. Then fill the crack between the slab and wall with filler made for that.

Slab-jacking, done by someone who knows what he's doing, is the logical fix for your problems. It can get a bit pricey, especially if paid for by a metered pump of material going into the holes. We used Uretek for raising concrete bridge approach slabs in NM when I was with the DOT there, and were quite pleased with the results.

I would get a quote or two from someone doing it for residential work, and make it on a lump sum basis (to avoid the unnecessary surprise of large voids, etc.). And finish if off with a heavy bead of urethane sealant along the joint line at the house foundation.

Latest posts

Back