Leaking in swing patio doors

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wkelly5688

Reaction score
I have a double in swing patio door on my garden shed I built. I wanted both doors to open so I courld get my riding mower in and out. They are fiberglass Reliabilt doors from Lowes.
Both doors are leaking at the bottom on the hinge side. I have caulked everything I could see and adjusted the threshhold to get a good seal with the sweep but this weekend rain showed I'm still leaking. Any thoughts on "common" problem areas with this type door? I'm about ready to rip it out and start over!:mad:
Any and all comments are appreciated!

Bill

You can buy a "pan" to be installed under the door that will keep water from leaking into the area. Remove the door, install the "pan" and re-install the door. You can find them at the big box stors.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Last edited:
Only a real amateur would install swinging patio doors without pan flashing.

Many good doors that s slightly high extrusion to prevent the water are direct it away, especially in wind driven rains. The high extrusion is a bit of an inconvenience but it is livable for the protection it provides. A proper pan flashing also minimizes the effects of poor installation.

Dick

You,re not going to win here, a pan under the door will require some place for water to go. As the surface is level in and out, you should have had a curb under the door with ramps to get the tractor over it.

oldog/newtrick said:
You can buy a "pan" to be installed under the door that will keep water from leaking into the area. Remove the door, install the "pan" and re-install the door. You can find them at the big box stors.

I checked at Lowes and they didn't have a clue what I was talking about.

mudmixer said:
Only a real amateur would install swinging patio doors without pan flashing.

Many good doors that s slightly high extrusion to prevent the water are direct it away, especially in wind driven rains. The high extrusion is a bit of an inconvenience but it is livable for the protection it provides. A proper pan flashing also minimizes the effects of poor installation.

Dick

Guess thats what I am...a real amatuer. Thanks for your support.

Also check at the top of the door where it meet the siding and make sure you have a good caulk joint there. Did you install a drip cap abopve the door?

Latest posts

Back