Insulating Pole Barn?t

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papakevin

Reaction score
I just recently moved out to the country and have purchased a home with an amazing pole barn. Inside, the wife wanted some space she could work in year round, so I built a 12' x 16' structure which I'm planning on insulating. We are planning on cooling this space in the summer and heating it in the winter. The exterior walls are 2x6 construction, on side to provide wind sheer strength, with the metal screwed to them. Originally was going to put in fiberglass insulation, but have read this could be like building a Hilton Garden Inn for all the field mic.

Anyone have any suggestions or thoughts on the best way to insulate the exterior walls? I realize the ceiling will need insulation as well. The ceiling was constructed with 2x8 on 16" centers so we could store seasonal items (Christmas decorations, etc) up top. Thanks.

A before and current photo are attached for easy reference.

ImageUploadedByHome Repair1405338970.731167.jpgImageUploadedByHome Repair1405338994.161289.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

I would use the foam sheets cut to fit and then can spray foam shot in the gaps cover with drywall.

Looks nice. I would pull the stairs back so you have the landing on the top not the bottom. Deck the top and add a hand rail and railing for the steps.

I have a small heated and cooled work room in my garage just about the same size and love it. You might want to add a small window or two now.

There should be a Manual J calculator online for $50.

Bud, thanks for the feedback. Yes, we thought about installing a window, but opted not to do so. We still have not ruled it out.

The stairs are inset to allow for more parking space in front of them. I made a mistake and went 12' wide vs 10' as originally intended, so the stairs slightly intrude into what would be the standard parking space area. If it wasn't for that, I would move them forward and add a landing. The handrails for the stairs and the top storage are coming, just not installed as of yet.

I like the foam panel suggestion and will ask the wife to return the fiberglass insulation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Repair

Just saw something like this a few weeks ago the guy rigged his stairs with a garage door opener and raises and lowers them with a remote.

Back