Should I and what are the costs of pouring cement inside stone foundation

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

m2244

Reaction score
So, we own an old home with a stone foundation and we have a musty, earthy smell in the basement and parts of the first floor. It feels and smells damp down there. I wonder if pouring an 8 inch inner "foundation" over the stone foundation would solve some of these problems.

Also, could someone give me an idea of the cost for doing this myself. I have done foundation work years ago and have access to forms.

The only advice I can give you is that 80 Square feet at 4" thick is roughly a yard of concrete. or you can use this (length X Width X depth in feet / 27) will get you the amount of yards of concrete you will need. A concrete truck legally holds 9 yards but they will do 10 if you are close. 6 sack concrete in So Cal right now is going for 75 bucks a yard plus environmental fees. You will likely need a pumper that will cost you at least another few hundred. Then you have forming and finishing along with any dirt work involved.

As for pouring over the rock foundation I really don't know if that will help you, are you planning on pouring a slab under the house?

Wow, Chris, that's some cheap concrete you are fortunate to have in California. I recently priced out 3000 PSI mix (probably 5.5 sacks per yard, with fly ash) for a women's shelter I volunteer at, and the cheapest here in central Oregon was right at $100 a yard.

At one company I pay 58 a yard but they have a delivery charge

You won't stop those problems by covering them up my friend. You need to think about water, its the root of your basement leak problems. Are your downspouts pouring onto the outside of your foundation? Do you have a slope away from your home to divert water from your home?

Dry it out, get a solid drainage system in place, and waterproof the wall seems.

Or you could just get a ventilation system like the EzBreathe, which in my experience works very well.

They're right. I would consider a sealant & barrier on the interior of the basement if it's unfinished. I had good luck with one of those roll on black materials a few years back. If it's finished you probably have mold issues anyway so it might as well become unfinished and then done correctly.

Back