Termite damage to wall

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cfd1984

Reaction score
Just purchased this 1950's ranch that had some pretty extensive termite damage to the subfloor. After repairing the subfloor I have moved onto the fire place and surprise surprise, more termite damage to the load bearing wall that separates the living room from the garage. I have attached some pictures of the wall. I would like to replace the double 2x4 top plates that the ceiling joists are resting on, but want to make sure I am taking the correct approach to this repair. The ceiling joist in the living room run parallel with the wall I want to repair. From what I can tell the ceiling joist from the garage rest on the wall that I want to repair ( i think 6 joists rest on the wall). My plan is to build a temporary wall in the garage to support the load of the ceiling joists while I sawzal the top plate out and replace with new 2x4s. Do this sound correct or am I way off here.

wall 1.jpg

wall 2.jpg

wall3.jpg

wall 4.jpg

wall 5.jpg

wall 6.jpg

wall 7.jpg

Yes you need a temp wall in the garage but the joists on the other side of the chimney do not land on that big header. So what is above the garage or might be sitting on those joists like an upstairs wall?

The damage looks more like mold.

There is a process in wall framing that insures they are contiguous end too end, and that is that the top plate joints are lapped 4'.

So, if your intent is to replace both top plates from the end stud stud of the "U" channel, then to tie the wall together you'll need an MST 48 on both ends.

Back