Removing galvanized and going copper

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting, how sheltered a life we live, all these mfg's things you expect to be ready.

Since I also run a lot of elec. in conduit, I use my linemens pliers. Not as clean as the roto-tool, but works.

I use a simple reed deburring tool, except 2 1/2 pipe and bigger, i use a round file

I use my drill to put my wire brush in

deburr toll.jpg

Has anyone used one of these plunge saw tools for difficult access cutting of galvanized pipe? There is one spot where I need to cut and a sawzall may be difficult. Just want to know before I crawl all the way to the most difficult corner of my crawl space. Thanks.

IMG_1177.PNG

I have this tool;

Fein FMM 350 QSL Multimaster Oscillating Multi-Tool with Hard Case and Top Accessory Package

And have used both of these blades, however because they are not designed specifically for your application, take a couple of blades, or more, with you.

Fein 63502106210 MultiMaster 3-1/8 in. Starlock HSS Segment Saw Blade

Fein 63502152290 1-3/4 in. Universal Oscillating E-Cut Saw Blade (10-Pack)

Budget for contingency.

Either try it on a piece of galv. pipe before you go under or take a couple of blades with you.

They are returnable.

Well tomorrow is the big day and point of no return once I shut that water off, once I remove the horizontal piece from the riser into the crawlspace I'll cut the PVC, glue on my prefabbed riser, push a 10 footer through the existing opening and sweat it to the tee on the top of the riser. Then I'll do my crawling and tie in. Hopefully all goes as planned?����

I'm putting the copper hangers temporarily nailed to the joists, I will go back under when everything is soldered and put the horseshoe looking ones every other joist and wherever I can. I'm having the 10 footer supported so it's not dangling when I solder. Some of the old galvanized is in the way so I don't have the hangers fully nailed in but enough to hold the pipes up and it allows a little 'wiggle room' to fit the next fitting or pipe.

I made a big f up! While cutting out my old pipe I somehow managed to rip right thru the 3/8 copper on the hot side! Ugh! I was filling the water heater and was hearing a strange sound from under the kitchen sink. Dammit! Not to mention that pipe is still dribbling water out of it for the past 2 hours! Nothing is open, obviously, so not hot shower until tomorrow. All my cold seems good, no leaks. My plastic pipe supports worked awesome too! I'm going to get rid of the 3/8 rolled copper and redoe that section back to the water heater, hopefully this water stops by tomorrow? I opened the faucets for a while but didn't change much. You can see the hot side dribbling water behind the wasteline in the last pic�� Can't seem to post without pictures going sideways?

IMG_1184.jpg

IMG_1185.jpg

IMG_1186.jpg

IMG_1193.jpg

IMG_1195.jpg

Last edited:
Relive your childhood and enjoy the mud-pies, an occupational hazard.

Relive your childhood and enjoy the mud-pies, an occupational hazard.

few years back, we had a hard freeze and fixing busted pipes were the important calls for a week.

I went to a day care center called the Muster Seed, busted pipe under the building

4'' of standing water at 35 degrees. fun fun fun
I slid under the building and crawled in the water dragging my tools and torch in a plastic tub. fixed the leak while me teeth chattered
and hands were blue
then went home for the rest of the day

Here is a BOo BOo you just might relate to
was topping out a house and needed to tie the meter in.
I looked at the meter and it was pointed down on a 45 degree angle
so I grabbed the meter to lift it up.
and heard the sound you do not want to hear ''Snap''
oh oh..this damn meter is hooked to pvc instead of copper off the main
LOL. I am freaking soaked
helper throws me a dresser coupling, a nipple, and gate valve
It took me FOREVER to stab that dresser on that live line
and pound a stake in the ground to hold it
I finally was able to close that valve
mission accomplished

was at a hospital and needed to demo a 1.5'' water line
hospital maintenance was NOT going to let me shut the water off.
soooooo..
I had a helper hold a sledge hammer side ways under the pipe
While I beat the pipe flat, to stop the flow
then cut the pipe, and soldered a valve on,

My boss had put a 5 galon bucket under a tiny leak on a VAV box in the ceiling
I found the bucket about 8 years later when it filled up and startd dripping on the ceiling
LOL I ragged his *** every chance I got

a trick that might come in handy
drill a hole in a 5 gallon bucket, install a water heater pan male adaptor
glue a 3/4 male adapter on the WH pan fitting and install a hose bib/ boiler drain
now you can drain a pipe above a wood floor with out ruining the floor
run a hose outside

Last edited:
That would be a Double check valve assembly
installed in the mud, it is supposed to be in a gravel pit

typically that is the feed to your sprinkler system

d check.jpg

Last edited:
Back