What to do about musty basement?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshahar

Reaction score
Hi Everyone:

I want to convert the basement in the house I just bought to a den, but it has an unfortunate air of mustiness about it. The home inspector did not think it was due to mold, but rather to the fact that the windows had been kept closed for a lengthy period of time. So I tried turning on a dehumidifier for a week, then tried keeping the windows open for hours at a time. the smell is still there, although its severity varies over the course of the day. I am thinking to wash the curtains but they don't smell. Is my only recourse to paint the downstairs completely? Any other thoughts?

Thanks,

-Charles

Need far more info, if you can smell it there's a moisture issue.
Working gutters with down spouts leading away from the fondation?
French drain?
Grade running away from the foundation?
No mulch or flower beds forming ponds against the foundation?
Working sump in the basement?

Working gutters with down spouts leading away from the foundation? Yes
French drain? Yes
Grade running away from the foundation? Not Sure
No mulch or flower beds forming ponds against the foundation? No
Working sump in the basement? Yes

I am not sure if this is helpful. The property itself seems quite protected from any water damage. The basement had not been aired all summer. I am wondering whether a wooden cabinet, which smells very dank inside, is responsible for some of the mustiness. It is the only piece of furniture left over from the previous tenants, aside from the curtains.

-Charles

Back