DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > General Home Improvement Discussion > Opinions on keyless entry doors

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:28 PM  
vinny186
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Opinions on keyless entry doors

Not having to carry around a set of keys is very appealing but what if the battery dies or the electronics fail?

A keyless mechanical entry deadbolt would be ideal.

Old 10-12-2017, 04:32 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2922 Times on 2561 Posts
Likes Given: 4811

They are nice, when the battery dies you do need a key.

Old 10-12-2017, 07:52 PM  
Flyover
Trying not to screw things up worse
Liked 85 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 136

If a criminal wants to get in through your front door, he can break the door. This is true whether the deadbolt lock on the door is keyless or not. He could also try to disassemble or damage the lock to get it open. This is still true whether the lock is keyless or not. He could pick the lock. Since keyless deadbolt locks still have keyholes for when the battery dies, those locks can be picked too.

Keyless locks can be hacked, or the combination can be guessed or even figured out somehow. But a criminal can't "figure out," "guess," or "hack" your physical key. As long as you've got the key and he doesn't, he will not be unlocking your door.

In my mind, that gives traditional locks a slight edge over keyless.

Traditional locks are also less expensive, they take up less space on the front of your door, and to me at least they don't feel like as much of a high-tech intrusion into my lifestyle, which I try to keep fairly low-tech.

Old 10-14-2017, 01:16 PM  
vinny186
Liked 25 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Yeah, keyless is great until that one time when the battery gives out then you're up the creek.

Thanks Flyover. That's a reasonable concern of someone deciphering the combination. Thanks for the replies.
Flyover Likes This 
Old 10-14-2017, 10:51 PM  
slownsteady
Administrator
HRT_ADMIN.png

Liked 1130 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 1846

Anything that needs an app on your phone is suspect (in my opinion). The internet gives so many more criminals a chance at your stuff. Highly unlikely that some guy in Russia will hack your lock, while his buddy is standing in your driveway, but the app can create a backdoor into your local network, files etc. If the keyless lock is Bluetooth, then the chances are a lot less likely that it can be hacked.