DIY Home Improvement, Remodeling & Repair Forum > DIY Home Improvement > Plumbing Forum > Low water in Toilet Bowl

Help Support House Repair Talk by donating using the link above.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:20 AM  
Krich
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Default Low water in Toilet Bowl

Just curious if there is an adjustment using the apparatus in the toilet tank to make the water level in the toilet bowl come up.

The water level in bowl is shallow and is barely above the hole that the water flows into when you flush the toilet.

Sometimes when the toilet in the other bathroom is flushed, it causes the toilet with low water level to gurgle which mkes my wife think something is wrong

So, since it's abnormal for the water level in the toilet bowl to be so low (when comparing to other toilets) any thoughts on how to fix this would be appreciated.

Note... in the tank it does have updated kit installed in the tank like you see in the plumbing stores that replaces the old style (it's an older house)

Old 11-02-2017, 11:22 AM  
Krich
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

OK, so I was able to set the black plastic float in the tank to where it comes ujp higher... and in doing so, water overflows into the pipe causing more water to come in to the bowl

Is this all I need to do, or do I need to be considering doing something different?

Old 11-02-2017, 11:27 AM  
Snoonyb
Liked 435 Times on 386 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Just keep playing with the adjustment.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:43 AM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Liked 2947 Times on 2583 Posts
Likes Given: 4854

Plastic tube that adds water to the over flow tube is what tops up the water in the bowl.

Old 11-02-2017, 11:57 AM  
Krich
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

OK, thanks!

I've tinkered with the adjustment and I now have more water coming into the bowl so this should fix it I'd think.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:11 PM  
Sparky617
Liked 262 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 162

You want the water to stop below the overflow tube or the water will be running all the time.

Old 11-02-2017, 02:47 PM  
Krich
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

On my setup, the black float comes all he way up and turns off the water.

I adjusted it so the float would come up higher which allowed water to flow in to the tube which put more water in the bowl which is what I was wanting.

But, so far the water does not continue to run cause the float turns off the water when it comes all the way up.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:03 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

That's not good. I will try this again, I just borrowed it from google.
While the tank is refilling a small amount of water is also going from the Fill Valve through the Refill Tube into the Overflow Tube. The Overflow Tube empties directly into the toilet bowl. ... If it weren't for the Refill Tube there would be only a small amount of water in the bottom of the bowl.

Picture at this site.
http://www.factsfacts.com/MyHomeRepair/ToiletFlush.htm

Last edited by nealtw; 11-02-2017 at 03:05 PM.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:09 PM  
Krich
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Before I made any adjustments at all... there was so little water in the bowl it was just above the hole where water comes from when you flush it down at the lowest part of the bowl.

What happened was when my wife would flush the toilet in the other bathroom it was making a gurgling sound in the bathroom of the toilet that had the low water.

The other toilet had plenty of water in the bowel as do most residential toilets I've ever seen. I don't recall seeing too many toilets that barely have any water in the bowl.

If adjusting the float higher to make more water go in the bowl is not the right way to fix this situation... what is?

Last edited by Krich; 11-02-2017 at 03:13 PM.

Old 11-02-2017, 03:52 PM  
nealtw
Contractor retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krich View Post
Before I made any adjustments at all... there was so little water in the bowl it was just above the hole where water comes from when you flush it down at the lowest part of the bowl.

What happened was when my wife would flush the toilet in the other bathroom it was making a gurgling sound in the bathroom of the toilet that had the low water.

The other toilet had plenty of water in the bowel as do most residential toilets I've ever seen. I don't recall seeing too many toilets that barely have any water in the bowl.

If adjusting the float higher to make more water go in the bowl is not the right way to fix this situation... what is?

The overflow is a safety in case the valve doesn't close. So that aint it. If the water is coming out of that little tube and is going down the overflow then I thing the toilet is working right.

If the toilet is working right we look at the venting as if there is no air behind water the water will siphon the water out of a trap somewhere. I would suspect a plugged vent. You might want to run water down from the top on the roof and have someone watch that the tub doesn't fill up

zannej Likes This