Arrrggggh! My project went sideways!

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TaskBoy

Reaction score
As you might know, I'm doing a family room remodel which is mostly the fireplace area. I had the new mantel framed out and ready to skin with MDF and then maple veneer. I had it dead-nuts square from the massive skewedness of its original state. Well, I demo'd (an afterthought change) a row of slumpstone bricks that stuck out in a very ugly way. Next, I hardiebackered the surfaces to receive tile when I noticed that the mantel frame looked odd. I ran a level all over it and it is completely out of true now! Apparently, the trauma of beating out that brick row moved stuff--crap! So, I just completed demoing my beautiful frame to start from scratch. I'm going to get a beer and have a nap now.

I have been in your shoes.... you do have to step back sometimes and then regroup... I hope that it goes as planned when you get busy again.... I personally am taking a little time off, enjoy some summer... then busy again with school, kids, work this fall.....

Good news, gang. I have a renewed outlook on it and have already altered my approach to it (new wood sizes, frame design, etc.). Should even go easier this time around.

Latest posts

Back