Microlams or what?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Porter418

Reaction score
Same house different problem. Looking to put a 4.5 foot wide doorway/archway between two rooms. Problem is its a post and beam home and this was the original outside wall. Do not have to remove any of the "major" posts to complete this just one 4x4. Would normally put in an 8 inch header in with the standard construction BUT the second story top plate/sill is so thick that it would leave me only about 6'4'' clearance.

Would a 6 inch microlam accomplish the same thing?

I thought maybe a steel I-beam but that might just be overkill.

Heck, in another room they have a 7 foot picture window in a similar spot without any of the associated support......I know, I know.... gonna fix that too.

You answered your own question....
I'm going to make you work for this one.

Key being POST and BEAM....

Duh, Guess the beam is already there Huh? And since the window shows no adverse effects................

You got it....
Just be careful of any angled braces and you are ready to go.

Post and beam homes are a different animal, your getting the picture.

Keep us in the loop.:D
InspectorD

Already checked. The angled braces are farther out to the sides and not in the area for the arch.

The real challenge is going to be leveling the original floor to match the additions so that I can lay a new wood floor. I did something similar in my house when I layed a new pine plank floor. Used a line level and made a "tic tac toe" pattern of lines using the high point as level. Don't think I ever cursed a much as I did building up the "faux joists". But the floor is level and tight ten years later.

Back