Mixing 4x8 with traditional siding

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luvnpeas

Reaction score
I have an old house whose original siding is no longer available. It is thick fir, 5.5" in height, thinner at the top, lapped at the bottom. It was built in Oregon, back when clear, old-growth fir was as common as rain.

Over the years some of this stuff has been replaced with thinner cedar that doesn't line up well, so the caulking cracks quickly, and there are more seams than necessary.

I was thinking of replacing this mish-mash in patching with 4x8 single panels. I'd do this only where it wouldn't create a long straight seem down the side of the house. For instance, between windows less than 8 ft apart.

So, it would just need to create a good seal at the top and bottom, where it would meet the older (pre-war) siding.

Are there any problems I should anticipate? I know it won't look great, but perfect looks in a house this old would cost a fortune, and a water-tight exterior is more important.

Thinking out loud here.

Could you possibly salvage some of the existing siding and use it to patch in the show side of the house? Then you could use Hardiplank siding on the back. It sounds like you want to use 4x8 panels horizontally instead of the normal vertical installation. Are you thinking of T1-11? You'd need to do something where the panels join to keep water out. Something like Z- flashing instead of depending on caulking.

To my eye T1-11 hung horizontally would just look odd. I wouldn't do it.

Yes, I was thinking of using the panels horizontally. Can they only be used vertically? I'm a total newbie. I also don't know what T1-11 or z-flashing is.

Z flashing is just metal flashing in the shape of a Z that goes behind the upper sheet and house wrap and out and over the lower sheet. You could look at 4x8 sheets of hardey type material instead.

I would definitely use Hardi-panel if I was going to use 4x8 panels. It is available in several patterns including T1-11 and a stucco look, and somewhat smooth.

Back