leverage for screwing in deck screws?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Philphine

don't give him tools!!!
Reaction score
i have an upper deck around part of my garage i want to work on. to start i want to add some of those simpson strong ties attatched with deck screws because it's nailed together and some of the nials have worked out some, enough that i don't like that situation on a deck sitting so high.

but the problem i'm having is i can't get positioned well enought to get good leverage behind the drill. i'm on a ladder and the drill is slightly over my head. i've only put a couple of the ties in and i'd say of the few i've done, i've only gotten a screw or two on each compleatly screwed in.

i've tried phillip's head screws like i normally use, and some square head ones i picked up, but they seem even worse. is there a particular screw head or method i can try? thanks.

There is a really good screw for Simpson tie fastening ... DSV

http://www.strongtie.com/webapps/fa...on=DSV&type=Hand-Drive Screw?source=fastenhp#

Check to see if they have the proper length for yuor application. I prefer square drive because it does not slip as easily as phillips and you can really lean into them.

If you use an extension ladder (not the A-frame) you can lean into the wall better.

BE SAFE .....

DECK.JPG

thanks i'll look into those. the pic you posted is exactly what i want to avoid.

Home Depot will rent you a compresser and a strapshot nail gun, they are made for just that job.

Just wondering, if you have 2x10 joist 16" on center, is there what looks like a block of 2x10 between the joists against the wall.

i think there is on one side, but the deck turns a corner and then it looks more like what you decribed in the other thread (i almost asked both questions in one thread. guess i should have). it's a 2x4 bolted somewhere to the inside of the garage. i can't see them on the inside, but the head of the bolt looks like those galvanised type with the round head and square section that locks into the wood and has a nut on the other side (can't think of their name at the moment), so i'm figuring it comes through to the inside even if i haven't figured out where exactly.

the 2x10's have a notch in them that rests on it, but some of them have a gap where they're not flush againt the wall any more. where the nails have worked loose. i really don't like the look of it. i'm hoping to get them back flush and have the strong ties to keep them in place this time.

I'll second the taller ladder where you can get your shoulder behind it. A cordless impact driver would prolly help too.

I have been driving a lot of screws lately and going thru some of the same issues. The screw and driver I have found to work best IMHO are the “guard dog” screws and the special driver for them. These screws can be driven with both a square or Philips driver but they have a driver that is a combination of both in one and seem to lock on the screw really well. along with that the pitch is enough to run them in pretty fast. I have boxes of screws that just didn’t work out in my case. Once you spin the driver in the head back the screw out and toss it as they are done all you end up doing is messing the driver up trying to finish getting them in. I just finished up a big ceiling into some tough old yellow pine and I found if I didn’t have my ladder directly under the screw so I could get a full push up I would spin out. What a pain that was moving the ladder about 500 times. The other thing I found was when you get tired stop.

The idea of carriage bolts is also good if they will work with your hardware. Drill a pilot hole also helps.

I like star drive screws for decks and other heavy duty applications - these will drive in without the need for you to push down much on the drill and they rarely strip out. See http://myword.info/images/t_drive_1bs.jpg

This is also known as a torx head screw. At any rate, make sure to use a fastener made to handle this type of stress.

OK already, screws are not acceptable in all areas and if they are only those sold for that job. You don't get to choose which driver you like.:2cents:
:trophy:

I use my impact driver more then any other tool I own.
It will drill holes, drive screws, drive nuts. I rarely use a drill any more.

Latest posts

Back