Is this normal settling?

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NewSkin

Reaction score
Hi All, I purchased my home in sept of '01. It is a new construction that had been finished in July of '01. Within a few weeks we noticed that the concrete foundation had started to crack inside the house. I called the contractor and was told that since it is a newly built house that this settling is normal and to expect more cracks thru the house over the next couple of years as the house settles to a rest. He was right and indeed we had cracks that showed up thruought the house over the years. My question is, with the pictures provided, does this seem like a normal home settling into position. The pics were taken a couple days ago and to me it seeks like the house is sinking. Any help appreciated for this first time home owner. Thanks again.

image-2266428953.jpg

image-356845874.jpg

image-18704523.jpg

image-2232896008.jpg

What area re you in? It changes from region to region.

Thx for the replay Austin, I'm in Rhode Island. My house is listed as being built on an area that was initially just trees and shrubs. Thx again

We call this slab on grade. The foundation went in first and then it was backfilled with sand and compacted (hopefully) then the floor went in. The floor is seldom attached to the foundation. If it was backfilled with poor quality fill or not compacted the floor can move independent of the foundation. Only the barring walls in the interior of the house are built on a curb like the outside and the rest of the walls are built on the floor. So as the floor moves the non barring walls move too. It would be nice to say this never happens but sadly it is pretty normal.

Settling of a new house is NOT normal. It should be built on solid ground so that you do NOT get cracking etc.

Hey fellas, just wanted to give an update. I decided to file a claim with my insurance company based on some of the responses I received, not only on this forum but on another as well. Hoping for a good outcome

As a professional waterproofer, we deal with cracks all of the time. They are normal to start appearing about 4-5 years after the home was built... but it is not normal for them to come as fast as they are coming for you. I would advise you get them addressed (helical piers is best solution) before they turn into a much bigger problem.

That's awfully straight for a crack. . .? Is the slab higher or lower than the margins?

My bad :(

Are the surfaces in each side of that crack in the corner the same height? It's supposed to be worse if they're not.

Latest posts

Back