Minor waters damage...wall & floor

House Repair Talk

Help Support House Repair Talk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fhutch

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm a weekend warrior with nominal diy skill. Nonetheless, I seem to manage most times.

Here's the issue: minor water damage...what you see is what you get except for about 3" under the edge of the tub. the far dies of the wall does not appear to have any water damage.

Here's the goal: replace minimal amount needed...I won't be able to get back to this project for another week or two...today's it.
I know the plywood will need to go. I think the drywall can be pieced together fairly easy. The rough parts will be the bottom of the stud, and the footer, each about 3.5" (roughly). I can figure out what to do with the "tile" on the wall until a decision can be made about how to move forward...Need the boss' (wife's) input on that.

Thanks folks...this one's got to be quick and painless ;)

image-2294668089.png

Is that wall bearing? You would need to support the floor/ceiling above if it is with a simple temp wall.

When I'm facing this type of damage, I normally take the load off the wall if necessary, sometimes the bottom plate can be replaced, or doubled up so the rot can be cut out...obviously after the subfloor is cut back to the closest joist with good wood on it. Sister next to the bad ones everywhere you need to. Unfortunately, sometimes that means tearing out studs all the way to the ceiling for 12 inches of rot at the bottom :(

Back